Events and Galas
Free Baltimore Outreach Health Festival:
A Hometown Kickoff to Colon Cancer Awareness Month!
Saturday March 4, 2017
Held on Saturday, March 4, at Mondawmin Mall in Northwest Baltimore, our 4th Annual Free Baltimore Outreach Health Festival was a total blast. A rollicking estimated crowd of 2,027 joined us in marking the beginning of National Colon Cancer Awareness Month and a new year of Susie's Cause Free Outreach Health Festivals across the country.
Heartfelt thanks to our festival partners at Bon Secours Baltimore Health System, in particular Dr. Samuel Ross, Judy Carmichael, Sahrah Henninger, and Carolyn Greene.
Bon Secours staff graciously provided the following services at the festival.
• “Ask the health care professional”
• nutrition display
• free health screenings for blood pressure and body mass index (BMI)
• renal services
• DECO insurance enrollment information
• Bon Secours Community Works information
• Bon Secours Reentry Success program information
• substance abuse and medicine disposal information
Our Susie's Cause staff, meanwhile, offered:
• our educational colorectal cancer display
• other educational cancer materials
• wonderful giveaways
Supporting health agencies present at the festival were:
• MedStar Health, providing information on how to get screened for colorectal cancer for Baltimore City residents and sharing important screening information in Spanish
• Baltimore City Health Department
• Baltimore County Department of Health, providing information on how to get screened for colorectal cancer for county residents
• The Johns Hopkins Center to Reduce Cancer Disparities
• CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield
• Y in Central Maryland
WMAR-TV ABC2 News and its popular anchor Kelly Swoope were on hand, too. Check out the station's report on the festival here. >
Sandi Mallory from WEAA (88.9 FM) emceed the day's festivities, which included an ongoing lineup of live performances from:
• our very own resident vocalist Ralph Magwood
• the Washington Unity Choral Union
• The Church of the Redeemed of the Lord Soulful Praise Dance Ministry
• The Palovations
• Zeta Center for Healthy and Active Aging dancers
• Sweet Symphony vocal group
• The Joe Cooper Project reggae-jazz fusion band
We were pumped to have the Oriole Bird hanging out with us for part of the day, and the kids also loved the face painting and caricaturist.
Thank you to our wonderful host site, Mondawmin Mall, and its great team of Romaine Smallwood-Smoot and Chandra Burton.
Thank you to our local festival sponsors, CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield, Giant Food, Amerigroup, ABC2 News, and M&T Bank.
Thank you to national sponsors Genentech and Lilly Oncology.
Thank you, Baltimore! We had a great time sharing a healthy day with you!
See our event photos here. >