What is my Social Security?
A my Social Security account provides personalized tools and access to Social Security services to everyone, regardless of whether they receive benefits or not.
What Can You Do With a my Social Security Account?
- Request a replacement Social Security card
If you are not receiving benefits:
- Get personalized retirement benefit estimates
- Get estimates for your spouse’s benefits
- Get proof that you do not receive benefits
- Check your application status
- Get your Social Security Statement
If you are receiving benefits:
- Set up or change direct deposit
- Get a Social Security 1099 (SSA-1099) form
- Opt out of mailed notices for those available online
- Print a benefit verification letter
- Change your address
- Social Security pays disability benefits through the Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) program and the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program.
- The SSDI program pays benefits to individuals and certain family members if they have worked for a certain duration of time within a recent time and paid Social Security taxes on their earnings.
- The SSI program pays benefits to adults and children who meet the requirements for a qualifying disability and have limited income and resources.
Additional information about disability benefits, qualifications, and the application process can be found at Disability Benefits – EN-05-10029 (ssa.gov).
Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
The Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program provides monthly payments to adults and children with a disability or blindness who have income and resources below specific financial limits. SSI payments are also made to people aged 65 and older without disabilities who meet the financial qualifications.
Information about eligibility and the application process can be found at Supplemental Security Income | SSA.
Additional information about SSI can also be found at Understanding Supplemental Security Income (SSI) (ssa.gov).
Follow the Social Security Matters blog to stay up-to-date about Social Security information, tools, and online services.
Share with a friend
The Colon Cancer Foundation (CCF) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to a World Without Colorectal Cancer through awareness, prevention, screening, and research.