GIFTS OF STOCK AND SECURITIES
Are you looking for another way to support CCF? A gift of stock and/or securities is an option! A stock gift can allow you to increase your donation by removing tax liability from your portfolio. And it’s easy!
Appreciated securities or mutual fund shares that you have owned for more than one year are excellent charitable gifts.
Donate stock to the Colon Cancer Foundation
Gifts of stock can help the Colon Cancer Foundation® continue its lifesaving vision of A World Without Colorectal Cancer™ and it’s goal of distributing 10,000 FIT tests in 2021 to the underinsured and underserved.
Donating stock or securities offers a number of benefits:
- A federal income charitable contribution tax deduction based on the stock’s fair market value on the date of the gift (up to 30% of your adjusted gross income) if the stock was owned for more than one year;
- Carryover of the deduction for up to five additional years if the fair market value of the gift is more than 30% of your adjusted gross income; and
- Avoidance of capital gains tax that is due when you sell appreciated stock.
Note: Stock owned for one year or less is considered a short-term asset and usually won’t produce attractive tax benefits.
Your stock donation could go further than cash
You may be able to make your charitable dollars go further by donating appreciated securities, such as publicly traded stock, bonds or mutual fund shares, to a charity such as the Colon Cancer Foundation
There may be tax benefits when gifting appreciated stock
Appreciated securities are investments that have increased in value from the time they were purchased. Some individuals and households may be able to take advantage of IRS tax provisions to claim a charitable tax deduction for the full, fair market value of the securities, and you may avoid paying capital gains tax on the transfer.
Seek advice on tax considerations
A gift of stock made before December 31 of a calendar year may reduce your tax burden for the year you give. Your financial advisor can explain the possible tax benefits depending on whether the stock has appreciated or lost value since the time you acquired it.
Gifting stock to the Colon Cancer Foundation
Each stock gift helps the Colon Cancer Foundation® continue its lifesaving vision of A World Without Colorectal Cancer™ and it’s goal of distributing 10,000 FIT tests in 2021 to the underinsured and underserved while providing tax benefits for supporters. Click here to complete your SECURITIES DONATION FORM to send to your broker or follow these step-by-step instructions to help you take advantage of this gift planning opportunity:
Stock held by a broker
- Give your broker the following information to transfer a gift of stock to CCF:
The CCF brokerage account is with Morgan Stanley
The CCF account number is 723-124-701 and the DTC number is 0015
- Either you or your broker must contact us online or call 914-305-6674 with the name of the stock and the number of shares being transferred. This ensures the gift is properly credited and acknowledged.
Stock certificate held by a supporter
- Contact us to inform CCF you are making a gift of stock.
- Using registered mail, send the unendorsed securities to:
Colon Cancer Foundation
10 Midland Ave
Port Chester, NY 10573
- In a separate envelope to the same address, send:
A letter stating you wish to contribute the securities to the CCF, including the name and number of shares of each stock; and a signed, but otherwise blank, SECURITIES DONATION FORM.
Please contact us in advance at 914-305-6674 or email@example.com to inform us of your gift of stock in order to receive your tax receipt. Download our SECURITIES DONATION FORM to get started.