Image credit: Gordon Johnson from Pixabay
There have been moments where we have experienced a symptom and attributed it to a completely different disease or condition than it ended up being. There are infographics to help acknowledge the similarities and simultaneously clarify distinct differences across the common cold, flu strains, and COVID-19. Since there is much overlap and potentially confusion that can arise regarding symptoms of Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, and colorectal cancer, we have created infographics to help visualize commonalities as well as distinguish their disparate characteristics.
We hope that these graphics will provide a clearer picture of symptoms that are unique to specific conditions and diseases and where and how they manifest in our body.
- Colon cancer vs. ulcerative colitis (UC) symptoms & signs. eMedicineHealth. April 2, 2020. Accessed November 8, 2023. https://www.emedicinehealth.com/colon_cancer_symptoms_vs_ulcerative_colitis/article_em.htm.
- Crohn’s disease and colon cancer: What you need to know. HealthMatch. October 15, 2021. https://healthmatch.io/colon-cancer/crohns-disease-and-colon-cancer#overview.
- Colon cancer. Mayo Clinic. July 27, 2023. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/colon-cancer/symptoms-causes/syc-20353669.
- Colorectal cancer – symptoms and signs. Cancer.Net. June 1, 2022. https://www.cancer.net/cancer-types/colorectal-cancer/symptoms-and-signs.
- Colorectal cancer signs and symptoms: Signs of colorectal cancer. Signs of Colorectal Cancer | American Cancer Society. June 29, 2020. https://www.cancer.org/cancer/types/colon-rectal-cancer/detection-diagnosis-staging/signs-and-symptoms.html.
- Colorectal cancer: Symptoms and diagnosis. Colon Cancer Foundation. December 1, 2022. https://coloncancerfoundation.org/colorectal-cancer-symptoms-diagnosis-and-treatment/.
Vanessa Seidner is a Colorectal Cancer Prevention Intern with the Colon Cancer Foundation.